Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day, 2007.

I went into D.C. yesterday and met a man standing by the Vietnam Memorial. He was dressed in his Veteran clothes and was standing in front of a particular part of the wall. I asked him if I could take his picture and he asked me if he could introduce me to his guys. Three of his men were killed, all in their early 20's, when their boat flipped over during a gunfight. He showed me their names in the wall and told me he shows them to kids when they walk by. He asks them how they honor their Veterans, and they tell him, "with respect." He tells them to honor their Veterans by going to school, getting an education, and making something out of themselves. While it's horrible that this man even had to stand there, hopefully something good will come out of him speaking with the children. Hopefully at least one child will listen to him and take it to heart- get an education, make something out of themselves.

So today, on Veteran's Day, respect and remember every soldier we have lost, but also every soldier who has survived and lives on to tell their story. Live your life with meaning and ensure the loss of so many men and women was not in vain.

I am forever appreciative of everything our men and women in uniform have done, and continue to do, in order to protect our country and keep us safe.

No comments: